Everything in this potato salad is vegan with the exception of the low-fat salad cream which has egg yolks in it. As I am not vegan, this isn’t an issue for me, however if I was cooking for my vegan friends I’d have to find a substitute. Probably more olive oil, more balsamic vinegar and more mustard as well as some soy or oat milk.
Vegan Bacon Bits
It was a really good potato salad. The sun-dried tomatoes are quite chewy and could be dubbed vegan bacon bits. In this recipe, I bet you can fool meat eaters with them! Use the ones sold dry, in a cellophane bag. Pack them in a jar with extra virgin olive oil, and wait a few days before using. They are much chewier than the kind sold packed in jars with oil; almost as chewy as beef jerky!
The tofu and hemp seed completely disappear, adding to the creamy texture and most people wouldn’t know they’re eating tofu, thinking instead that the potatoes had been well-cooked and mashed down a bit, making the dressing really thick. The chopped brazil nuts and golden linseed add some crunch.
- about 300 grams new baby potatoes, cooked in the skins and diced
- about 1/2 cup wheat grain, cooked
- about 125 grams tofu, crumbled
- 1 spring onion and greens, chopped and diced
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- about 1 and 1/2 cup of spring greens, chopped and cooked
- 1 dessert spoonful golden linseed
- 3 dessert spoonfuls shelled hemp seed
- 6 brazil nuts, chopped
- 2 sun-dried tomatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp fine herbs
- 2 dessert spoons olive oil
- 1 dessert spoon balsamic vinegar
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 3 dessert spoons salad cream
Mix all together till the tofu disappears. Chill. Serve with sliced fresh tomatoes garnished with a few sprigs of parsley or coriander.
Not sure what else you could have with this, maybe a bean salad or veggie burgers. You could slather it on rye bread, rice cakes, or stuff it into a pita. Great for a summer BBQ. DELICIOUS and NUTRITIOUS!
- Festive potato salad (greenlinglocal.wordpress.com)
- Potato Salad ~ Ranch Style (cleanyourplate.net)
- Garlic (alisonamazed.wordpress.com)
- Daring Cook Challenge: Potato Salad (goodcooks.wordpress.com)
- Tuesday Teaser #8: A German-Inspired Vegan Treat (alfhana.wordpress.com)
- Daring Cooks: Dill and Caper Red Potato Salad (tastyeatsathome.wordpress.com)
- Green Potato Salad (morecheesemorechocolate.com)
- Spicy potato-avocado salad (saffronandhoney.com)
- Potato Salad (cookhomelife.wordpress.com)