I made the chick pea variation of this rice dish for a friend who came for dinner. We both agreed it was a good meal. It’s a bit like a risotto or paella, but as the rice is long grain, it isn’t as sticky.
To make the rice, you need:
- 1 cup long grain brown rice
- 1 tsp veggie gravy powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- Mix the veggie gravy powder with a little cold water.
- Rinse the rice and put in a saucepan with the seasoning and garlic.
- Cover with enough cold water to give 1 inch of water above the rice, add the veggie broth water to this.
- Bring to boil over high heat, cover and reduce heat.
- Simmer until all the water is absorbed and the rice is tender. 30-40 minutes.
Meanwhile saute the following in a little hot oil, adding each ingredient in order:
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red onion, sliced
- 1 red or green hot chili, thinly sliced and diced
- 1 medium-large zucchini (courgette), thinly sliced
- 2 cups spring greens, chopped (can substitute pointed cabbage)
- 4 small fresh tomatoes (or 2 large), chopped
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- 2 dessert spoons shelled hemp seed
- 2 dessert spoons golden linseed
- 2 dessert spoons balsamic vinegar
- handful of fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 Brazil nuts, chopped
- 2 dessert spoons grated parmesan cheese
When the rice is cooked, mix all together with the veggies.
Serve garnished with coriander and brazil nuts (1 for each serving) and grated parmesan cheese (optional).
If you want to plump up the protein in this dish try adding one or more of the following:
- a can of drained chickpeas
- a can of drained kidney beans
- a couple of beaten eggs:
- add the rice to the veg in the frying pan, mix together
- add the beaten egg
- saute to make a kind of veggie egg fried rice