Here’s a beany vegan sandwich spread I created when confronted with a pot of cooked mixed beans that started to go mushy when I tried to make a salad!
- 1 cup dry, Deluxe Bean Mix*
- 3 cloves wet garlic, diced
- 1 wet garlic green stalk, thinly sliced
- 1 medium shallot, thinly sliced
- 2 dessert spoonfuls golden linseed
- 2 heaping dessert spoonfuls shelled hemp seed
- 4 brazil nuts, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced (to match size of beans)
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced in quarters
- 2 tsp dry mustard
- 1 small fresh, red hot chili, finely diced
- 3 dessert spoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 dessert spoonful soya sauce
- a handful fresh coriander, chopped
- a sprig of dried sage, crushed (about a teaspoon) N.B. this is freshly dried sage still hanging in my kitchen!
- 1 dessertspoonful tomato paste
- freshly ground salt and pepper
- Rinse the beans and soak overnight in the fridge. The next morning, rinse again and put in a pot with about 3 cups freshly boiled water. Bring to a roaring boil and boil for about 15 minutes, then chuck out the water and replace with 3 cups freshly boiled water. Simmer on the stove for about 90 minutes or till beans are tender. Drain off the water and cool.
- When the beans are cooled, add the other ingredients, mixing and mashing with a fork. You’ll have few beans that won’t mash, not a problem, they add texture. Leave the sandwich spread in the fridge for a couple of hours (This ‘cooks’ the flavors.)
- Spread on rice crackers or your favorite bread. You could also pack this into pita, roll up in wraps, or use as a dip for corn chips or raw veggies. Mmmm – yummy!
*Red Kidney Beans-25%, Black Eye Beans – 25%, Pinto Beans-20%, Black Kidney Beans – 20%, Flageolet Beans – 10%
- Vegan tuna (veganomnomnom.com)
- Ashley’s Vegan Eggplant “Meat”ball Sub (vegontherun.wordpress.com)
- Garlic (alisonamazed.wordpress.com)
- Burritos Refried Beans Vegetarian Sandwich Spreads (ontheland.wordpress.com)
- Beans and Grains (alisonamazed.wordpress.com)
- How Do I Make The Flavours Mingle In My Vegan Chili? (ask.metafilter.com)
- Surviving as a Broke Vegan (goddamncleanhippies.wordpress.com)